They say that in Mexico that you shouldn’t drink the water… but why would you even bother when there are so many other brilliant Mexican beverages begging to be tried?! There’s Tequila, Atole, Horchata… and of course my personal favourite… Hot Chocolate! Or , as they say in Mexico, ‘chocolate para mesa’!
In this recipe, a zingy kick of chili and tang of lime both contained by the smoothness of cinnamon will help bring the flavours of Mexico and a Latino twist to your hot choccie!
Buen provecho! Olé (or should that be, au lait?!)
- 250ml semi-skimmed cow’s milk or any alternative milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp good quality raw cacao powder (I use Aduna Super-Cacao Powder)
- 2.1/2 tsp Agave Nectar (I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, so feel free to sweeten to taste!)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbs lime juice
- Mix all the ingredients in a small saucepan until smooth.
- Stirring regularly, warm on a low heat until the hot chocolate is steaming and pipping hot.